It is the mission of CEN Integrated Environmental Management Unit to actively contribute towards sustainable development or development that delivers basic environmental, social and economic services to all without threatening the viability of natural, built and social systems upon which these services depend.
FURTHERMORE WE PLAN TO ACHIEVE OUR MISSION THROUGH:
- The implementation of rural development and resource management programmes
- Conducting environmental impact assessments of development initiatives
- Policy initiatives on environmental and development issues
- The formulation of guidelines for projects and assessments of projects
- The initiation and implementation of rural development programmes
- The initiation and implementation of integrated environmental management plans
SKILLS TRANSFER PROGRAMME
CENIntegrated Environmental Management Unit operates a Skills Transfer Programme. Wherever possible, CEN IEM Unit utilises the services of students from previously disadvantaged communities within Nelson Mandela Bay. Professionals in environmental management train these students in processes of Environmental Impact Assessments, Environmental Evaluations as well as in Specialist Field Surveys, thereby giving back to the community.